About Me...

My photo
Secondary School Art Teacher, Ireland.

7.11.11

Dublin Contemporary!

Luckily, I got a chance to get to Earslfort Terrace and see more of the Dublin Contemporary exhibition before it ended. There was mountains of work in Earlsfort Terrace, and it was a really great experience. One of my favourite pieces (being a teacher) was this mad classroom made out of plywood:



This piece was great - made me wonder what kind of lessons would be taught in a classroom like that! Unfortunately I can't remember the artist's name, and even though I bought the guidbook, this particular piece isn't featured so I'm not sure who the artist is. Apologies!

The whole experience was very positive though, although there was an awful lot of work. I did it all in the one morning, which was a bit much really. Generally I find that you can only absorb so much art at any one time, and so the best way to visit an exhibit of this size is in stages - say, taking one floor or corridor at a time. Then you don't get burnt out. I know, it sounds strange to describe the relatively passive action of viewing an exhibit as tiring, but it is mentally exhausting. There are a lot of complex ideas and thoughts being projected in any exhibition, and to take them all on over the one visit can be quite hard. I admit that by the end of the visit, my friend and I pretty much raced around the remainder of the exhibits to get them all done. We didn't have the luxury of coming back and revisiting the space another day, because the exhibit was in its final day. Of course, when you have to pay into an exhibit, it's not always possible to make multiple visits. In that case, it's a good idea to research what you'd like to see the most, and create a list for yourself of must-see pieces.

Speaking of art and exhibits, I also visited the Wexford Opera Festival in order to see the art on show. All over Wexford town there are little galleries featuring mainly paintings but also some sculptures from around the world. Some of the paintings on display were absolutely fantastic. Again, I have to apologies because I stupidly didn't make a record of the artists' names, but I did manage to take some sneaky photos on my phone of my favourite pieces. The most striking of these were paintings of urban spaces. The subject matter made these images so compelling - what seems like mundane and less-than-savoury views of contemporary living spaces or factory premises make for some really unique paintings. There were a couple of artists featured who dealt with this kind of urban landscape. The colours used are fabulously muted and bleached, and the pictures have such a strong sense of atmosphere as a result: the lifeless abandoned warhouses and the decrepit residences felt so authentic as a result. The pictures I have featured are the ones (obviously) of warehouses and factories. They in particular capture the strange sense of abadonment and silence of a factory after-hours.




So, I've been busy lately trying to visit as much local art as I can. This has put a bit of a hold on my own work, which I will get back to this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment